The AFDO Board and staff are deeply saddened by the sudden passing of Sue Salthouse this week.
Sue was an inspirational and tireless champion for the disability sector – particularly women. Her dedication, passion and generosity changed so many lives for the better.
Sue was the Chair of Women with Disabilities ACT (WWDACT) and was an inaugural Board member, and Chair of the Australian Communications Consumer Action Network (ACCAN), as well as the former President of Women With Disabilities Australia (WWDA). Sue was also an Our Watch Ambassador, member of the NDIS Independent Advisory Council, Director of Rights and Inclusion Australia and more.
Awards and Distinctions
- 2010 Edna Award for community activism
- 2011 Inclusion Award in recognition of working towards an inclusive attitude for people whatever their disability
- 2014 ACT Senior Woman of the Year
- 2015 Canberra Citizen of the Year for personal efforts and significant contribution working to improve the lives and opportunities for people with disability, and in particular women with disability
- 2015 CoAct Local Hero for exemplary work done in local areas
- 2020 ACT Senior Australian of the year
All who knew Sue will remember a kind, generous and deeply caring person. She will be sadly missed by all in the disability community.
Our thoughts are with her family and loved ones at this difficult time.