The technology that enables genetic screening is rapidly advancing and becoming more widely available.
But families who participate in pre-natal screening often don't get all the information they need and don't have access to suitable counselling before and after screening.
Families deserve accurate and balanced information when making decisions based on screening results.
Down Syndrome Australia is calling for a funded, co-ordinated approach to pre-natal screening.
- We need better guidelines for genetic screening
- We need a national training program for health professionals who deliver screening services
- We need more information about the conditions that are being tested for and the accuracy of these tests
- We need better access to counselling before and after screening
- And we need a public awareness campaign to tackle the stigma associated with intellectual disability
Everyone deserves the full story – no matter what your decision might be. Please sign our petition.